Jarryd Hayne jailed for five years over rape of woman

Jarryd Hayne playing for the Gold Coast Titans in the NRL.

Jarryd Hayne has been sentenced to a maximum five years and nine months in jail for the rape of a woman on the night of the 2018 NRL Grand Final, Fox Sports has reported.

He will be eligible for parole after three years and eight months.

The 33-year-old was found guilty in March by a jury of the sexual assault of the then 26-year-old woman at her Newcastle home in September 2018.

In sentencing Hayne, Judge Helen Syme told the court: “I do not accept that he was not aware that she was attempting to push him away and trying to physically resist him.”

“It was very clear she said no several times.”

Syme said Hayne only stopped because he “noticed the blood” not because she told him to.

“I have found the offender was fully aware that the victim was not consenting and went ahead anyway.

“His decision to do so increases the objective seriousness.”

Judge Syme said Hayne’s “very difficult” upbringing had no impact on his “entitled behaviour next to this young woman who simply refused to have sexual relations with him”.

The court heard this attitude could not be fixed by Hayne “going to church.”

Judge Syme said Hayne was a good father and positive contributions to the community but had shown no remorse over the incident and needed to change his attitude to consent, women and sex.

Earlier Hayne’s rape victim earlier spoke in court about rumours and innuendo that swirled around the case, saying the assault left her feeling “dirty and violated”.

“People talk about my vagina, my choices, and like to give their opinions based on what they’ve heard and it is the most helpless feeling,” the woman, who cannot be identified, told the Newcastle District Court on Wednesday.

The ex-NFL convert was found guilty of performing oral and digital sex on her in her bedroom on NRL grand final night on September 30, 2018.

She was left with two lacerations on her vagina, which bled profusely.

During her evidence, the woman said she refused to consent to sex because the ex-Parramatta fullback had a taxi waiting outside her Fletcher home.

Hayne had been in Newcastle for a two-day buck’s party and had stopped off after conversing with the woman over social media.

She relived the moments after he left her house, “laying on her bed, hugging her knees and staring into nothing”.

Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments