Jamie Peacock defends controversial red card decision

Many people have questioned the decision to send Wigan Warriors star Joe Shorrocks off against Hull KR in yesterday’s Challenge Cup semi-final.

Shorrocks’ dismissal was a key moment in the game that perhaps pivoted the match Hull KR’s way as they went on to secure a golden point victory via a Brad Schneider drop goal.

Speaking after the game on BBC Sport, Jamie Peacock had his say on the incident stating that he felt Shorrocks executed his tackle too:

“I just think he’s executed this tackle too well. He’s hit him in the aftermath of it, it’s just borderline going up into his head.

“You see the way the rules are now, the way they’re applied, it’s a red card. But I just think it was just that brutal afterwards and the referee thought he had no choice but to red card him.

The former Man of Steel also cautioned against bias when saying that these tackles should be accepted.

This is because the sport is trying to move away from them to make it safer.

He said: “We’re a bit biased because we like that side of the game, but we’re trying to move away from that side of the game as well.

“Well, it will have been costly in the end. I think you could see they were tired as they got into Golden Point. But that’s what the Wigan club is about, isn’t it?

“You’ve got nothing but admiration for them as a group of players and coaching staff for their grit and resolve. They don’t see it as a problem. They see it as another excuse to win the game going down to 12 men.”

This was an interesting talking point that clouded a great game.

The game has been a pulsating affair in the wet. The Robins could have been forgiven for feeling hard done by when Ryan Hall pulled out of the side late before kick-off but they stood up to early pressure before a delightful scrum move saw Louis Senior slide in at the corner.

Hall’s injury saw Mikey Lewis moved to fullback and Ethan Ryan moved to the wing. Lewis showed his worth with amazing footwork to confuse the Wigan chasers when they looked to trap him in goal.

Hull KR had the better of the first half but they were behind when Jai Field was given enough space to weave through and score in the corner.

Up against it at this point in the game, Shaun Kenny-Dowall turned the game when he intercepted but sadly he couldn’t go the distance but the Robins were now building pressure.

After absorbing a spell of pressure themselves, Wigan went down field and nailed a penalty to make it 8-4.

As aforementioned, the Warriors have now added to their lead after a second penalty from Harry Smith, his third goal of the game to give them a 10-4 lead which was cancelled out by an Ethan Ryan try.

A deserved win for Hull KR and a special performance from the Robins in a brilliant semi-final, there is no getting away from the red card as the game’s big moment in the contest.