Connect with us

Huddersfield Giants

Ian Watson set for words with Jake Connor after star lashes out again

Jake Connor

Huddersfield Giants were beaten handily by Warrington Wolves today in the Challenge Cup semi-finals in a game that saw tempers flare and Jake Connor sin-binned.

During the ten-minute period in which Jake Connor was off the field, Warrington added yet more points but in all truth, the game was gone after 20 minutes. Warrington raced into an 18-0 lead courtesy of two long-distance tries before some smarts from Danny Walker saw him able to bury over in front of the sticks.

Last week saw the Giants stay in the game for 40 minutes before capitulating, to use Ian Watson’s word, in the second-half. Wigan ran up a scoreline of 48-6 with Bevan French running the show whereas today it was 46-10 with both George Williams and Matt Dufty impressing.

It now marks the fourth consecutive defeat for Huddersfield with Jake Connor being at the centre of scuffles in all of them. Twice today he was cited by referee Liam Moore with the second instance seeing him sent for ten, whilst just a couple of weeks ago against St Helens his battle with Daryl Clark saw the Saints hooker come out on top and score at Connor’s expense.

After today’s defeat, Ian Watson has told both the BBC and the Giants’ YouTube channel that he’s set to have words with the full-back.

Jake Connor sees yellow as Wire pile on the points

Jake Connor Huddersfield Giants

Credit: Imago Images

It means that Huddersfield’s hopes of winning their first Challenge Cup since 1953 are put on ice for another year with Warrington the deserving winner. They secured the game early doors really with the second half becoming attritional for both sides in the heat.

That is perhaps why the game started to bubble and get tense with the first boiling point moment seeing Jake Connor push Josh Thewlis over the advertising boards triggering a melee that saw Tui Lolohea and Matty Nicholson going at it.

The second time it was Connor and Thewlis again with the Warrington winger taking the ball into contact before being shoved down whilst on the floor by the tackling Connor. Huddersfield’s number one would then lash out as Thewlis understandably took offence to the actions.

Liam Moore had to read the riot act to both Luke Yates and George Williams earlier and he wasn’t set to do so again, instead sending Jake Connor to the bin despite his pleas.

Asked about the incident post-match, Ian Watson told the BBC: “Yeah, I’ll speak to Jake about that rather than talking about it on here.”

Watson was tight-lipped once again in his post-match press conference, adding: “I think I’ll speak to Jake about that before I comment in the press or anything else. I think he deserves that but we need to get on top of it.”

Just earlier this season, Connor had to be held back from the Hull FC bench after being sin-binned against his former club for another indiscretion, whilst he used his post-match interview against Leeds Rhinos to rile up the Headingley crowd.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Must See

More in Huddersfield Giants