Hull KR fans question crucial moment in defeat to Wigan Warriors

Wigan Warriors have beaten Leeds Rhinos, Warrington Wolves, Bradford Bulls and Catalans Dragons in Super League Grand Finals and are now looking to add Catalans Dragons to that list.

That comes after they battered Hull KR with one of the all time great semi-final performances.

They got off to a great start in the game with three tries but the second was controversial as Jai Field touched down Liam Moore was going to disallow it but it was convinced turn to video referee Ben Thaler who awarded it.

This moment divided fans on social media:

“This try confused me, the referee blew his whistle when he thought Field had knocked on, then decided to play on, surely that doesn’t mean play on when the whistle is blown.”

Others called it a captain’s challenge: “Was that a captain’s challenge, that wasn’t a captain’s challenge?”

Meanwhile one fan said: “Field talking Liam Moore into a review.”

Some claimed it was poor officiating: “Poor from Liam Moore to give that as a knock on originally doubly poor to then change his mind.”

But to some Moore showed great officiating: “Superb officiating from Liam Moore.”

Wigan Warriors and Hull KR collided knowing they would meet Catalans Dragons at Old Trafford if they came away with the win.

The Warriors went into the game as favourites as they did at the home of Leeds Rhinos earlier this year when they lost to Hull KR in the Challenge Cup semi-final to set up the first Wembley final without Leeds, Wigan, St Helens and Warrington Wolves since 1986.

The Robins knew if they won they would set up the first Grand Final ever without St Helens, Leeds or opponents Wigan.

The Cherry and Whites got off to a flying start as Liam Marshall crossed the whitewash just two minutes into the game. A sweeping move through the Wigan backline found the ball in Jai Field’s hands, and the fullback burst through a gap and sent Marshall in for the games first try.

Field turned from provider to scorer as he put his name on the scoreboard in the sixth minute. A Harry Smith kick caused chaos in the Robins back line, and with a bit of luck the ball hit Field’s shin and he pounced on the ball to score.

Marshall made KR pay for a piece of ill-discipline as he slid over for his brace. The winger wrong footed three defenders on the left edge and extend Wigan’s lead to 16 points with just 12 minutes played.

Hull KR capitalised on a poor piece of handling from Abbas Miski to get their first points of the afternoon, as Elliot Minchella powered over from short range.

As was the case in the first half, Marshall scored with just two minutes played in the half. A kick from Harry Smith was swatted back by a Wigan hand, and another kick from French fell perfectly into Marshall’s hands for the winger to score his third.

Another Harry Smith cross-field kick caused chaos for the Hull KR defence, but this time it directly led to a try. Smith’s kick was swatted back by Kai Pearce-Paul and it fell directly into French’s hands who put it on a plate for King and the centre gleefully dived over to score on his final appearance at the DW in Cherry and White.

Jai Field grabbed a well deserved brace to score Wigan’s sixth try. Quick feet from prop Patrick Mago created a crack in the Robins line, and Field burst through it to score.

Not to be outdone by his partner on the other edge, Abbas Miski grabbed his 28th try of the season.