Hull KR compound Wakefield Trinity misery with impressive win

Wakefield Trinity entered round six of the Super League season as the only side without a win and they welcomed Hull KR to Belle Vue in their bid to get on the board.

Mark Applegarth’s men just missed out last week against Salford Red Devils, forcing the 2022 play-off side to golden point extra time before losing in agonising fashion.

As for the visitors Hull KR have seen a two game winning start fizzle out with three losses on the bounce, in part due to a plethora of injuries including key man Jordan Abdull.

Trinity themselves have also massively suffered with injuries and debuted Robbie Butterworth at full-back tonight whilst new loan signing Tom Forber started from the bench.

As for Hull KR they replaced Jordan Abdull with Rowan Milnes in the halves and former Trinity man James Batchelor in a strong pack.

The deadlock was broken by young Sam Wood who capitalised on debutant Butterworth spilling a Lachlan Coote high kick, and managed to scoop and score to make it 4-0.

KR doubled their lead on the 20 minute mark when Louis Senior was put in by Tom Opacic, Lewis again missing the conversion.

Just two minutes later Butterworth’s torrid night under the high ball continued as he spilled another Coote bomb in front of his own sticks, and that allowed the territory for KR to score a third through Opacic.

Lewis missed for a third time and was taken off kicking duties for try number four which came via Kane Linnett just on the eve of half time, this time Lachlan Coote took the tee and converted to give the visitors an 18-0 lead at half time.

It was a dominant first half performance for Rovers and looked a completely different Trinity side to the one that pushed Salford all the way just a few days earlier.

Rovers started the second half by pinning Wakefield in their own 2o, forcing multiple goal line drop outs before Mikey Lewis finally burst through to kill the game off, with Coote’s conversion making it 24-0.

Lewis was involved again in the 55th minute when he broke and played in Minchella allowing Rovers to stretch the scoreline to 30-0.

Wakefield did hit back on the hour mark through Whitbread and it would have been a second try if not for Louis Senior’s incredible tackle on Kershaw just five minutes later.

Tom Opacic then scored his second of the night to reaffirm Rovers’ dominance and to stretch the lead to 34-6, Coote missing the conversion once again.

That signified the end of the scoring on a brilliant night for Rovers and one to forget for Wakefield.

Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments