Hull KR 34-10 Castleford Tigers: Highlights and match report

Hull KR are set to play in a second semi-final in two years after their superb win over Castleford Tigers tonight.

The Robins reached the Super League semi-finals in 2021 and are now just 80 minutes away from the Challenge Cup Final after gaining revenge for a heartbreaking cup defeat at the hands of the Tigers last year with a 34-10 win over last year’s Wembley finalists tonight.


Eden double

Greg Eden registered his 98th and 99th tries for Castleford tonight and both were lovely as he got the West Yorkshire side back into the game after they trailed 12-0. The first came off great play from Kenny Edwards and his second was set up by Jordan Turner.

Fantastic Hall try decisive

Ryan Hall is no stranger to huge Challenge Cup ties and is a Lance Todd trophy winner. With all that experience behind him, it’s no surprise he stands up in big moments and tonight his try was crucial. The Robins led by just two points with 26 minutes left before inventive play from Kane Linnett and Lachlan Coote orchestrated Hall’s score.

Sam Wood seals it

Former Huddersfield man Sam Wood sealed Hull KR’s place in the semi-finals with the Robins’ fifth try of the night. He produced a superb fend to shrug off Edwards and score to wrap up a fantastic win for Tony Smith’s side.

Match Report:

Hull KR couldn’t have asked for a better start to the game as Rowan Milnes quickly justified Tony Smith’s decision to include him in the starting 13 with star player Jordan Abdull on the bench.

Three minutes into the game it was his kick which led to the opening try for eventual Man of the Match Elliot Minchella.

Milnes kept Hull KR on top through his kicking game shortly after chasing his own chip kick to trap Niall Evalds down field as the Robins built momentum which led to another chance for Minchella who thought he’d scored only for the try to be waved away owing to a knock on.

There was another near miss when Mikey Lewis exploded onto a Sam Wood offload as the Robins hit Castleford with a whirlwind of attacking rugby.

Eventually try number two came and it again went to Minchella as he got his second try of the night at the second time of asking again from a Milnes kick.

The Robins were bossing things until neat play from Kenny Edwards on the back of a Tigers scrum created a try for Greg Eden. Castleford hit the Robins with a warning shot when Niall Evalds’ try was disallowed and it was well and truly game on just before halftime when Eden scored his second after a lovely move from the Tigers which started around the halfway line. Gareth O’Brien’s conversion trimmed the Hull KR lead down to two at the break. For all of Hull KR’s good rugby, they only led 12-10.

Then, fourteen minutes into the second half, the decisive moment as Challenge Cup Final hero with Leeds Ryan Hall scored the key try on the back of great play from Kane Linnett and Lachlan Coote down Hull KR’s left.

That knocked the wind out of Castleford’s sails and had Hull KR fans dreaming of a semi-final and their next try saw those dreams edge towards reality as Rowan Milnes picked up a deserved try from a Castleford error to make it 22-10.

If the game wasn’t over then, it was in the 71st minute when Sam Wood fended off Edwards to score to give Hull KR an 18-point lead. Then, to put the icing on the cake, Jordan Abdull wrapped up the win with a sixth try for Hull KR running 40 metres to do so.

Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments