Huge Wakefield Trinity takeover seemingly nearly complete

Wakefield Trinity’s 25 year stay in Super League, which saw them undergo epic battles with the likes of Castleford Tigers, Leeds Rhinos and Wigan Warriors, has finally come to an end with Trinity’s relegation confirmed.

As such for the first time since 1998 Wakefield are back in the Championship and no longer set to be playing in the top tier of British rugby league.

It comes during a time at which long time Chief Executive Michael Carter departs the club, however he leaves them with a newly developed stand and a prospective takeover on the cards.

That had meant time for optimism despite the bleak reality of relegation but doubt was cast over this recently by Brian Carney on Sky Sports.

He said: “We don’t if that will be happening now and that would be a disaster for the club if it didn’t.”

However, it seems that Carney’s statement has been rubbished and the takeover appears complete with Company House showing the departure of Michael Carter.

That means that Trinity’s journey into the championship will begin with new owners it appears as Carter promised to leave when he had someone to replace him.

It was make or break for Wakefield last night. Following their loss to Catalans last week, coupled with a Castleford victory against Hull FC, they came into this game four points adrift and needed a win to keep their slim hopes of Super League survival alive; however a loss would see them officially relegated.

The game got off to the worst possible start for the Trin, as Tom Briscoe crossed the whitewash in the fourth minute. Ben Reynolds was on hand to slot the extras, and Leigh led 6-0.

Wakefield needed a quick response if they had any hopes of staying in the contest, and they got exactly that as Liam Hood scored on his 250th career appearance. The former Leigh player reacted quickest to a loose ball and scampered in to put his name on the scoresheet. Mason Lino was successful with the kick and the scores were back level.

The Leopards would threaten the line in the next ten minutes that followed, and they finally got the rewards their pressure deserved as Josh Charnley put his side back in front. Ben Reynolds added his second goal of the night and the Leopards led 12-6.

Both teams would have chances to score, but to no avail. In the dying embers of the first half, Kevin Proctor was sent to the bin, making Wakefield’s challenge to pull off a famous victory that much harder.

A Wakefield error on the restart gifted Leigh the first possession of the second half, and they rubbed salt into the wound as Jack Hughes extended his sides lead to 10 points. Reynolds’ kick was unsuccessful.

The Trin again needed a swift response, and they got it as Lee Kershaw went the length of the pitch to bring Wakefield back into the game. Lino was successful off the tee again and the scores were 16-12.

Kershaw grabbed his second try of the night not long after his first. A sweeping move found the ball in Kershaw’s hand, and the winger dived over in the corner. Lino’s kick was unsuccessful; however the scores were level and Wakefield’s survival hopes were still alive.

Both teams would trade penalty goals within the space of three minutes to make the score 18-18, making for an incredibly nervy last 15 minutes at the Leigh Sports Village.

The Leopards dealt a killer blow through the boot of Gareth O’Brien as the fullback slotted a drop goal with just two minutes to go, but as the old adage goes ‘it’s not over until it’s over’, as Luke Gale knocked over a drop goal of his own to send the game to golden point.

Both teams traded pot shots at goal in the first period of golden point; however the final word would go to Leigh Leopards as Gareth O’Brien slotted the all important drop goal to confirm Wakefield Trinity’s relegation.