As St Helens prepare to head down under to play in the World Club Challenge, you may have forgotten that the fixture forms part of another tournament: The NRL Pre-Season Challenge.
In this competition all 17 NRL sides alongside St Helens will contest two games over a fortnight with Saints’ clash against Penrith for the World Club Challenge included after their inaugural game against St George Illawarra Dragons.
Then the side who performs the best in the two games will receive $100,000 in prize money.
But after two games, a lot of sides are going to be level on points which us why bonus points are in place to reward teams for making offloads, making breaks and scoring tries.
However, if teams are still level there is a chance that the winner could be decided by a flip of a coin.
So, there’s a chance that these bizarre bonus points or the toss of a coin could give Saints $100,000.
Here’s everything you need to now about the 2023 NRL Pre-Season Challenge:
When: February 9-12 and February 17-19
Prizemoney: $100,000 winner takes all
Teams: All 17 NRL clubs, plus Super League champions St Helens
TV: All games live and exclusive on Fox League
– 80-minute games
– No extra time or golden point. A draw will be declared it scores are equal
– Squad sizes: As many as 28 players for week-one matches and 26 for week-two matches
– Unlimited interchange
*World Club Challenge will have 17-man squads with an 18th player for concussion protocols, and 10 interchanges
– One referee
– Bunker in use
– 12 for a win
– Six for a draw
– None for a loss
A bonus point available for each of the following:
– Scoring five or more tries
– Making five or more linebreaks
– Making 10 or more offloads
Teams can earn a maximum 15 points for a win, nine for a draw and three for a loss.
The overall winner will be determined by the most competition points.
– For and against (points differential), then if still equal;
– The greater percentage of points scored in for and against, then if still equal;
– Most tries scored, then if still equal;
– Most goals kicked, then if still equal;
– Most drop goals kicked, then if still equal;
– Least amount of penalties conceded across both games ,then if still equal;
– The toss of a coin