George Williams goes Jose Mourinho over Paul Vaughan ban

Warrington Wolves are still fighting to join Wigan Warriors, Hull KR and Leigh Leopards in the Super League play offs.

They are in a battle with Salford Red Devils for the final play off spot but need to defeat Huddersfield Giants to ensure their spot.

They will likely have to do so without Paul Vaughan after he picked up a four match ban for unnecessary contact on Tuesday night.

His teammate George Williams has responded to the news with a Jose Mourinho quote: “If I speak, I’m in big trouble.”

Warrington are not happy making the following statement:

“Paul Vaughan has been suspended for four matches following tonight’s independent tribunal hearing Vaughan, who was charged with a Grade E offence, pleaded not guilty The Club is extremely disappointed with tonight’s verdict and are exploring options with regards to an appeal.”

The RFL made the following statement:

“Warrington Wolves forward Paul Vaughan has been suspended for four matches following an independent tribunal hearing this evening.

“Vaughan, who was charged with a Grade E offence of making unnecessary contact with an opponent during last Friday’s Betfred Super League match against St Helens, pleaded not guilty. He is also fined £500.

“Earlier today the following players accepted Match Review Panel penalties.”

Following the latest round of fixtures, the following nine players have been charged.

Paul Vaughan (Warrington Wolves) – Grade E Unnecessary contact – Refer to Tribunal
Thomas Mikaele (Warrington Wolves) – Grade B High Tackle – £250 Fine
Connor Wrench (Warrington Wolves) – Grade A Dangerous Contact – Not Applicable
Tommy Makinson (St Helens) – Grade B High Tackle – £250 Fine
Kaide Ellis (Wigan Warriors) – Grade A Dangerous Contact – £250 Fine
Jai Whitbread (Wakefield Trinity) – Grade C Dangerous Contact – 1 Match Penalty Notice
Kevin Proctor (Wakefield Trinity) – Grade C Dangerous Contact – 1 Match Penalty Notice
Kai O’Donnell (Leigh Leopards) – Grade B Dangerous Contact – £250 Fine
King Vuniyayawa (Salford Red Devils) – Grade C Other Contrary Behaviour – 2 Match Penalty Notice

The following player was handed a caution

Romain Navarette (Catalans Dragons) – Raises knee in tackle – N/A

The action started on Friday where the big story was of course Wakefield Trinity’s relegation. As Wigan Warriors ran riot against Castleford Tigers at the DW Stadium with Abbas Miski scoring five tries to stake his claim for the top try scorer award, this gave Wakefield hope of survival.

They had to beat Leigh Leopards however. They found themselves behind but a brace of tries from Lee Kershaw and one for Liam Hood gave them hope.

They two sides exchanged penalties and then drop goals with the game going to golden point but Wakefield couldn’t find a winner and Gareth O’Brien, as he did to Hull KR in 2016, relegated Wakefield with a drop goal in a 20-19 win.

Elsewhere on Friday, St Helens kept their hopes of finishing top and securing a home semi-final alive by defeating Warrington Wolves 18-6 with Daryl Clark scoring for Warrington showing his future club what he can do.

The defeat left the Wolves’ play off spot in jeopardy. Two sides who have missed out on the play offs met on Saturday. This was of course Hull FC and Huddersfield Giants and the Black and Whites were embarrassed by the Giants losing 52-20 in their final home game of the season.

Then Leeds’ play off hopes were ended by Catalans Dragons who battered them 61-0 in Leeds’ worst ever defeat in Super League. This also sustained the Dragons pursuit of the League Leaders’ Shield.

In the final game of the weekend, Hull KR defeated Salford Red Devils 12-0. This meant Hull KR secured their spot in the play offs but left Salford’s up in the air.