Five Players who came back to haunt their former clubs

It is one of the most famous curses in sport, a player going back to their former club and putting on a performance.

Here, we have selected just five examples of players who have haunted their former clubs.

Matt Parcell

Matt Parcell initially joined Rovers on loan at the back end of 2019. Credit: David Greaves/News Images

Parcell had a successful time with Leeds Rhinos after helping them to the Super League title in his first season in England.

He was even touted for Man of Steel a few times.

However, he had struggled for a bit as the side struggled after losing key players Danny McGuire and Rob Burrow in the off-season.

After injuries saw him fall behind Brad Dwyer in the pecking order, he was allowed to join a Hull KR side that was struggling for survival. He would also team up with McGuire once more.

In the third game of his loan spell, Rovers made the journey across Yorkshire to Headingley to face Leeds, who were also struggling at the time.

They had sacked Head Coach David Furner after becoming embroiled in a relegation battle early in the season. Richard Agar had taken over having been in caretaker charge.

Parcell was on target from dummy half as Rovers completed a memorable 32-16 victory in West Yorkshire. That result meant Leeds were not safe yet.

Both sides managed to secure their Super League futures, and now Parcell has made the switch to Hull permanent.

Leon Pryce

Pryce had come through the academy of hometown club Bradford Bulls and had quite a bit of success at the club before leaving.

In his relatively short career, he won three Super League titles, three Challenge Cups and a World Club Challenge title.

Then in 2005, just after winning his third Super League, he left to join one of Bradford’s main rivals; St Helens.

In his first game against his former club, Pryce was on the scoresheet as Saints made light work of Bradford; beating them 38-16 at Knowsley Road.

Saints would go on to complete the treble that season. Pryce would also win another two Challenge Cup titles, before moving on to Catalans Dragons ahead of the 2012 season.

Sean Long

Sean Long scored on his debut for Hull FC against St Helens. Credit: News Images

Long had spent all but the first two years of his career with St Helens.

He had won four Super League titles and four Challenge Cups in a highly successful career with the Saints. He also won two World Club Challenge titles.

But after 12 years, the time had come for a change, and he had moved on to Hull FC. A side that he beat with St Helens to win the 2006 Super League Grand Final.

It was not the outcome many were expecting. Long got on the scoresheet as Hull stunned the Saints with a 32-12 victory at Knowsley Road.

However, the season would ultimately end disappointingly for Hull as they went out in Elimination Playoff against city rivals Hull KR.

As for Saints, they went on to reach the Grand Final but lost against Wigan Warriors to make it four successive defeats at Old Trafford.

Paul Sculthorpe

Before a long, and distinguished career with St Helens, Paul Sculthorpe started his career at nearby  Warrington Wolves.

He was even a part of the Wire side that was beaten 66-18 at St Helens, when the hosts won the inaugural Super League title back in 1996.

He then joined Saints ahead of the 1998 season.

The first time he came up against Warrington was in August at Wilderspool. He truly did come back to haunt the Wire as he was on the scoresheet as Saints won 48-18.

Sculthorpe went on to win four Super League titles and three Challenge Cups. He also helped the club to two World Club Challenges.

He eventually retired after a 10-year spell at Knowsley Road.

Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown scored in his first appearance against Widnes since his move to Warrington in 2017. Credit: News Images

Kevin Brown has had a very varied career at several different clubs. He started out at Wigan, before signing for Huddersfield.

After leaving the Yorkshire club, he signed for Widnes Vikings, where he spent three years.

He them made the controversial decision to sign for bitter Cheshire rivals Warrington Wolves, with the aim of winning trophies.

The first game he played against them after leaving was at the Halliwell Jones Stadium in July. He was on the scoresheet as Wire won 22-6.

Warrington made the Challenge Cup Quarter Finals that year, but lost against Wigan. They disappointed in the league however, as they finished in eighth position, meaning they had to fight for their lives in the Super 8s.

As for Widnes, they survived by the skin of their teeth that year, but the next year they would not be as lucky. They were relegated after six seasons in the top flight.

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments