Ex-Super League official says eight-point try call was “harsh”

Some big calls went against Salford Red Devils last night.

First Ryan Brierley was sin binned as the Red Devils led 20-10 and in his absence Tom Mikaele burrowed over to really give themselves a chance of taking the lead again.

They did bomb a try after Matt Dufty dropped a pass from Daryl Clark after a good break.

However, a sensational try as Warrington kept the ball alive down the left with Matty Ashton darting back inside before offloading to George Williams who kicked over to Josh Thewlis to score and level the game.

But it wasn’t just a try but instead was a potential eight-point try with Tyler Dupree deemed to have committed foul play against Thewlis as he scored by going in with the knees.

Perhaps a harsh call, it was a key call because it gave Stefan Ratchford two shots at goal and he missed the first one but converted the second to make it 22-20 to Warrington.

This made Marc Sneyd’s earlier penalty miss key.

Remarkably, there was a second eight-point try when Kallum Watkins was adjudged to have committed foul play as Matt Dufty scored with Watkins catching the fullback on the head as he dived in.

In the eyes of former Super League official Richard Silverwood, the decision was harsh.

He took to Twitter to say:

“Harsh 8 point for me. Dupree can pull out and needless. Watkins is trying to make a tackle and Dufty is nearly on the floor. Yes he catches him but for me it should be deliberate foul play not accidental.”

Seen as a clash of styles between the big and powerful Wolves and the expansive Salford Red Devils and that was shown early as the first tackle saw the Wolves rip into Salford in defence but soon the expansive Red Devils had Warrington chasing shadows. A warning shot from Salford but good defence from the Wolves.

Warrington began to dominate down the middle and building pressure through the middle before a lovely George Williams kick was grounded by Ben Currie.

Warrington loanee Ellis Longstaff was on debut for Salford Red Devils and backed up after a lovely short side play released Joe Burgess. Burgess found Longstaff to score 11 minutes into his debut.

A great intercept from Ken Sio as he clung to the ball from George Williams and support from Ryan Brierley coupled with the fullback’s pace saw the Red Devils race away and score to give Salford the lead.

The Red Devils were on a roll and they rolled down field with a great show and go and bump from prop Tyler Dupree as he gave the Warrington pack as good as they gave. After this break, Marc Sneyd snuck through a gap and touched down besides the posts.

A penalty made it 20-6 at the break

Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments