Ex-Hull FC and Hull KR star Rowley Moat passes away just days after the death of ex-Castleford Tigers and Hull halfback

Hull FC have announced the sad passing of a former player just days after the death of ex-halfback Kenny Foulkes.

Rowley Moat made 81 appearances for the club throughout the mid-1950s and although having missed out on the final through injury, was part of the 1955/56 Championship winning squad.

The scrum-half signed for the Black & Whites ahead of the 1952/53 season, making his club debut away against Bradford in April 1953.

Having made 17 appearances over the course of his first three seasons with the club, Moat was a regular feature during Hull’s title winning campaign, pulling on the FC jersey some 35 times across the season and scoring 27 tries – a try-scoring record for a half-back in a single season at the time.

Noted as being a tremendous support player for the likes of Johnny Whiteley, Moat helped set up many of the former club captain’s tries for the Airlie Birds thanks to his electric pace.

As well as Whiteley, Moat was a key cog in the side alongside well-known names including Colin Hutton, Brian Cooper, Tommy Finn, Mick Scott, Tommy Harris, and the Drake Twins.

Moat unfortunately missed out on playing in the 1955/56 Championship Final victory over Halifax at Maine Road due to injury sustained a month before.

He went on to make a further 29 appearances in the 1956/57 season, scoring 16 tries as Hull reached another Championship Final, and this time featuring, but fell at the final hurdle as they aimed to retain their title against Oldham – the match proved to be his final appearance for the club, having signed for the Roughyeds for the following season.

1957 did see Moat play his part in securing more silverware for the club though, playing in the 1957 European Championship tournament featuring Halifax, Albi, and Carcassonne; he was a try scorer in the deciding match against Halifax at the Boulevard, bagging a brace alongside Whiteley, in front of 19,840 at the The Boulevard.

His time in Greater Manchester with Oldham  was short-lived, making just six appearances, before returning to the city to work on the docks, before signing for cross-city rivals Hull KR, making his debut at The Boulevard on Christmas Day in 1958, going on to make 59 appearances for the Robins.

Everyone at Serious About pass on their condolences to Rowley’s family and friends at this difficult time.

Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments