Wigan Warriors 20-22 Hull FC

Wigan Warriors 20-22 Hull FC


Round six of Super League saw Wigan Warriors take on Hull FC at the DW Stadium as both sides looked to open a gap at the top of the table.

A physical contest would develop as both teams looked to assert some dominance. A hammer blow would occur for Hull as Danny Houghton was forced to go off injured in the early stages.

However, the Black & Whites broke the deadlock as Steve Michaels got on the scoreboard after a perfect Marc Sneyd kick found the winger in the corner (12), Sneyd also added the extras to make it 6 – 0.

A quick-fire second try would follow as the mercurial Albert Kelly scored after receiving a fantastic pass from Danny Washbrook, before wrestling off opposition defence to make it 12 – 0 as Sneyd kicked the conversion (16).

Despite Wigan resistance, the FC momentum continued as Jake Connor went in under the posts after a miracle ball from Sika Manu to make it 18 – 0 with a successful kick (21).

Going into half-time, Hull were forced to deal with some serious Warriors pressure but their line defence remained firm.

The second half began with FC extending their lead as a fantastic break by Josh Griffin found Jamie Shaul out wide to register his 2nd try of the season (42). Sneyd would miss his first kick of 2017 leaving the score at 22 – 0.

After having a try disallowed, Wigan wouldn’t be denied again as a great kick by George Williams found Liam Forsyth who had the strength to muscle his way over in the corner (54) but Morgan Escare was unable to add the extras: 22 – 4.

The hits would come thick and fast as stoppages were forced for Shaul, Kelly and Escare who all suffered knocks.

Wigan’s revival would continue as they scored a second after good work from Liam Marshall on the left and a chipped kick found George Williams in the corner (68), Escare kicked the conversion to make it 22 – 10 in Hull’s favour.

The Warriors showed great resilience to grab a third try as quick movement of the ball found youngster Tom Davies in the corner for an acrobatic score (71) followed by an Escare conversion: 22 – 16.

FC were left with a perilously narrow lead and Wigan were able to narrow the gap further as Tom Davies broke away, allowing Liam Marshall to go on and make it a brace of tries (75) but Escare crucially missed the kick leaving FC hanging on to the smallest of leads: 22 – 20.

A frantic finale would play out but Hull were able to hang on for a vital victory that allowed them to reach the summit of Super League. 22 – 20 at full time.

Written by Callum Thompson.

Wigan Warriors

# Player Position Tries Goals Drop Goals Yellow Red Star Man
3Anthony GellingCentre000000
6George WilliamsStand Off100000
7Thomas LeuluaiScrum Half000000
8Frank-Paul Nu’uausala 24Prop000000
10Ben Flower 17Prop000000
11Joel Tomkins 23Second Row000000
15Tony Clubb 26Loose Forward000000
16Sam PowellHooker000000
20Willie IsaSecond Row000000
22Morgan EscareFull Back020000
32Liam ForsythCentre100000
35Liam MarshallWing100000
36Tom DaviesWing100000
17Taulima Tautai 10Interchange000000
23Nick Gregson 11Interchange000000
24Joe Bretherton 8Interchange000000
26Romain Navarrete 15Interchange000000
 Total 420000

Hull FC

# Player Position Tries Goals Drop Goals Yellow Red Star Man
1Jamie ShaulFull Back100001
2Mahe FonuaWing000000
4Josh GriffinCentre000000
6Albert KellyStand Off100000
7Marc SneydScrum Half030000
8Scott Taylor 17Prop000000
9Danny HoughtonHooker000000
12Mark Minichiello 16Second Row000000
13Gareth EllisLoose Forward000000
14Jake ConnorCentre100000
19Steve MichaelsWing100000
21Sika Manu 29Second Row000000
22Josh Bowden 15Prop000000
15Chris Green 22Interchange000000
16Jordan Thompson 12Interchange000000
17Danny Washbrook 8Interchange000000
29Masimbaashe Motongo 21Interchange000000
 Total 430001

Match Details

Date Time League Season Match Day
March 24, 2017 8:00 pm Super League 2017 Friday


DW Stadium


Team1st half2nd halfFinal score
Wigan Warriors02020
Hull FC18422