Warrington Wolves 40-18 St Helens

Warrington Wolves 40-18 St Helens


Warrington made it five wins out of their last six on Friday night, after fighting back from 14-0 down to beat St Helens 40-18.

Saints’ got off to a blistering start, scoring after just 46 seconds. With a heavy wind blowing against them, Kyle Amor managed to win the ball back from Tommy Makinson’s kick off, putting them in prime attacking position. A quick move to the right saw Adam Swift dive over in the corner, on the back of some good handling from Makinson and Jake Spedding. Makinson in turn added the extras, giving his side an early 6-0 lead.

The announcement this week of new coach Justin Holbrook seemed to inspire the Saints, who were arguably playing their best rugby of the season. After three repeat sets on the Wolves’ line, a high shot saw them win a penalty, with Makinson again stepping up to extend the lead to eight.

The Wolves had defended well and waited patiently for their chance, finding themselves on the Saints line just 10 minutes later. They were unlucky not to score, after getting over the line twice but having both decisions denied by the video referee. Firstly, Brad Dwyer was held up in the right corner, before they shifted it to the opposite side only for Tom Lineham’s effort to meet the same fate.

Clinical finishing seemed to be the difference in the first half hour, with the visitors making the most of their opportunities and posting a second try on 26 minutes. A penalty gave them the ball on the Wolves’ line and Ryan Morgan’s big left-foot step inside Rhys Evans on the back of Theo Fages’ pass proved too much for the defence. Makinson again added the extras.

It was only four minutes later, though, that Tony Smith’s men got their first points on the board, as Benjamin Jullien went over for his first try of the season. An outstanding delayed pass from Declan Patton put the Frenchman through a gap before he barged past the last line of defence in Makinson.

This sparked a revival from the Wolves, who would only go in at halftime two points down. Kurt Gidley started to inject himself into the attacking line and assisted in Mike Cooper’s try just five minutes from the break, putting the ball on a plate for the front rower to go in under the sticks. Harvey Livett converted both to put his side within two points.

The Wolves started the second half how they finished the first, and took the lead for the first time on 45 minutes, when Livett skilfully picked up a Theo Fages mistake to race 60m to the line, before converting his own try to make it 18-14.

The Warrington onslaught continued, with three tries following in quick succession. Livett was having a profound effect on the game, and was involved in the first try, as Rhys Evans hit a great line to go over from 10m out.

Another Saints mistake, this time coming from Tommy Makinson, then saw Tom Lineham in open field, with the winger running in from halfway.

And on the next set, an Evans break put the Wolves in prime position to strike. And strike they did, as a big shift left resulted in Ryan Atkins storming over in the corner. Gidley, Livett and Ashton Sims all involved in the build-up. All three were converted by Livett, as the Wolves found themselves with a 36-14 lead, a stark contrast to the opening half hour.

After such a fightback, you could forgive the Wolves for taking their foot off the gas, and they did slightly, with a lapse in concentration allowing Saints to get a try back. A short ball from Zeb Taia hit a great ball to get over the line, before offloading to Dominique Peyroux to ground the ball. Makinson couldn’t convert, though, pulling the kick just wide.

The visitors continued to push for further points in the last 10, with Luke Douglas and Regan Grace both coming close, but Warrington’s defence epitomised their whole game; a determined one.

There was just time on the hooter for a final Warrington try, with Atkins collecting Patton’s grubber to cap off a very impressive performance from the Wolves.

Referee: Phil Bentham

Scoring Sequence: 0-6, 0-8, 0-14, 6-14, 12-14, 18-14, 24-14, 30-14, 36-14, 36-18, 40-18.

Written By Jack Conlon.

Warrington Wolves

# Player Position Tries Goals Drop Goals Yellow Red Star Man
2Tom LinehamWing100000
3Rhys EvansCentre100000
4Ryan AtkinsCentre200000
5Matty RussellWing000000
7Kurt GidleyFull Back000000
10Ashton Sims 16Prop000000
12Jack HughesSecond Row000000
14Mike Cooper 17Prop100000
15Brad Dwyer 27Hooker000000
22Declan PattonStand Off000000
24Benjamin JullienSecond Row100000
28Harvey LivettScrum Half160001
34Ben Westwood 23Loose Forward000000
16George King 10Interchange000000
17Dom Crosby 14Interchange000000
23Joe Philbin 34Interchange000000
27Morgan Smith 15Stand Off000000
 Total 760001

St Helens

# Player Position Tries Goals Drop Goals Yellow Red Star Man
2Tommy MakinsonFull Back030000
3Ryan MorganCentre100000
5Adam SwiftWing100000
6Theo FagesStand Off000000
7Matty SmithScrum Half000000
10Kyle Amor 15Prop000000
12Jon WilkinSecond Row000000
14Luke Douglas 18Prop000000
16Luke Thompson 13Loose Forward000000
17Tommy Lee 9Hooker000000
26Jake SpeddingCentre000000
28Regan GraceWing000000
36Zeb TaiaSecond Row000000
9James Roby 17Interchange000000
13Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook 16Interchange000000
15Adam Walker 10Interchange000000
18Dominique Peyroux 14Interchange100000
 Total 330000

Match Details

Date Time League Season Match Day
May 5, 2017 8:00 pm Super League 2017 Friday


Team1st half2nd halfFinal score
Warrington Wolves122840
St Helens14418

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *