Wakefield Trinity 24-25 Castleford Tigers

Wakefield Trinity 24-25 Castleford Tigers


A tense and full-blooded West Yorkshire derby saw the Castleford Tigers scrape a narrow 25-24 win against Wakefield Trinity. Wakefield put in a spirited defensive performance and initially held a 16-0 lead only for the Tigers fight back to claim the win, with Luke Gale slotting over the all important one pointer to seal a sweet victory

After an initial impressive defensive performance in the opening 10 minutes, Trinity were rewarded with the first score of the game through a Ben Jones-Bishop interception. A loose pass on the attack from Jesse Sene-Lefao was picked up by Wakefield, who in the hands of Jones-Bishop, were able to race away 90 metres to score. Liam Finn’s successful conversion gave the home side an early 6 point lead, with this being extended to 8 points minutes later through a penalty goal in front of the Castleford sticks.

A shell-shocked Tigers side believed themselves to be back in the game on 19 minutes when Jake Webster made a play for the line, only for a try saving tackle from Bill Tupou dislodging the ball at the last moment, much to the chagrin of Daryl Powell.

Castleford found themselves disappointed once again on 24 minutes when Greg Eden was sent acrobatically in at the corner. Referee Chris Campbell sent it up to the video ref as a try, only for it to be turned down as Eden had tackled Jones-Bishop without the ball in the build up.

The Tigers sloppiness in attack gave Trinity the confidence they needed to push themselves further in front through a brilliant attacking run from Scott Grix. The full back was able to fend off the Tigers defenders to make 50 metres, giving good field position for Kyle Wood to dart over from dummy half a play later. Another Finn conversion paired with another penalty goal soon after the restart meant that Wakefield held a deserved 16-0 lead.

More good defence from Wakefield before half time kept the Tigers at bay, with the scores at the break being 16-0 to Wakefield. Chris Chester would have been delighted by his sides all round game, whilst Daryl Powell rueing a number of wasted opportunities.

Wakefield began the second half brightly, forcing the knock on from Greg Minikin after a high bomb, however it was the Tigers who got the first score of the half after only 3 minutes. The scrum from the Minikin knock on produced a Wakefield error, with the ball scooped up by the Tigers and shovelled out to Eden, who ran 90 metres to score.

Castleford had their second three minutes later with a barnstorming run from Grant Millington, crashing through three Wakefield tacklers to touch down. Gale’s second conversion narrowed the scores to just 16-12 in favour of the home side.

The comeback continued for the Tigers with Mike McMeeken grabbing their third consecutive try on 54 minutes. A great run from Nathan Massey appeared to have blown after he didn’t pass inside and was instead tackled, however the next play saw the ball spread wide, with Minikin offloading inside for McMeeken to cross. Gale’s conversion nudged the Tigers in front by 18-16 for the first time in the game.

Wakefield could never be written off in the game however, with David Fifita restoring their lead with only 12 minutes left on the clock. A high bomb was taken by Eden, but then stolen 1 on 1 by Joe Arundel. The following play allowed a rampaging Fifita to charge onto the ball and send the Trinity fans into raptures. A Liam Finn conversion and penalty goal minutes later pushed Wakefield 24-18 in front with only 7 minutes remaining.

In yet another twist in an exhilarating West Yorkshire derby, Castleford’s short kick-off attempt bore fruit, giving them the ball back in good field position. The ball was moved out wide with Jake Webster exploiting unusually sloppy Wakefield defence to level the scores at 24-a-piece.

After both passing up difficult chances for the one pointer, the Tigers were given a penalty for a Wakefield high tackle, giving them an opportunity that Luke Gale was never going to pass up, slotting over the drop goal to break Trinity hearts.

An error from the restart meant that Wakefield’s chance to scrape a win were all but over, causing them to fall short against the league leaders and local rivals despite a valiant effort.

Written by Nathan Okell.

Wakefield Trinity

# Player Position Tries Goals Drop Goals Yellow Red Star Man
1Scott GrixFull Back000000
3Bill TupouCentre000000
5Ben Jones-BishopWing100000
7Liam FinnScrum Half060000
9Kyle WoodHooker100000
11Matty AshurstSecond Row000000
14Sam WilliamsStand Off000000
15Adam Walker 20Prop000000
16Tinirau Arona 26Loose Forward000000
17Craig Huby 8Prop000000
18Joe ArundelCentre000000
24Mason Caton-BrownCentre000000
32Dean Hadley 23Second Row000000
8Anthony England 17Interchange000000
20David Fifita 15Interchange100000
23Keegan Hirst 32Interchange000000
26Chris Annakin 16Interchange000000
 Total 360000

Castleford Tigers

# Player Position Tries Goals Drop Goals Yellow Red Star Man
1Zak HardakerFull Back000000
2Greg MinikinWing000000
3Jake WebsterCentre100000
4Michael ShentonCentre000000
5Greg EdenWing100000
7Luke GaleScrum Half041000
9Paul McShaneHooker000000
10Grant Millington 8Prop100000
12Mike McMeeken 20Second Row100000
13Adam MilnerHooker000000
14Nathan Massey 19Loose Forward000001
15Jesse Sene-Lefao 34Second Row000000
16Ben RobertsStand Off000000
8Andy Lynch 10Interchange000000
19Gadwin Springer 14Interchange000000
20Larne Patrick 12Interchange000000
34Alex Foster 15Interchange000000
 Total 441001

Match Details

Date Time League Season Match Day
July 6, 2017 8:00 pm Super League 2017 Thursday


Team1st half2nd halfFinal score
Wakefield Trinity16824
Castleford Tigers02525