Salford Red Devils 24-14 Warrington Wolves

Warrington Wolves 12-38 Salford Red Devils


A classy performance from the Salford Red Devils, inspired by the mercurial Michael Dobson resulted in the Red Devils sealing a convincing 24-14 victory over the Warrington Wolves. In testing wet and windy conditions, the home side was able to brush aside the visitors to claim an excellent win in an enthralling match.

The Red Devils began the game without both Todd and Justin Carney, with the former lacking match fitness and the latter suspended, whilst Warrington welcomed the return of Kurt Gidley at fullback after missing the last round through illness. Matty Blythe also started his second debut amongst the interchanges.

Salford started the game in the best possible way by scoring a well worked try through Junior Sau after only four minutes. Good play in the build up resulted in the powerful centre going over in the corner, with Gareth O’Brien putting the conversion wide.

This was followed by a scrappy, to-and-fro period of the game, with both sides trading knock-ons and penalties. Salford were closest to breaking the stalemate with a Dobson grubber causing problems for the Wolves defence and George Griffin missing an opportunity to strengthen their lead.

Despite a slow start, Warrington crossed for their first try of the game in the 24th minute through half back, Declan Patton who, following a contentious penalty went over on the right hand side of the field.  Although the ball seemed to come off a Warrington hand, the Wolves were given possession, and with the following play, Patton was able to take advantage of the Salford defence to score. The youngster was unable to add the extras to his own try however, with the scores level at 4-a-piece.

A lively Salford side retook the lead five minutes before the end of the half, this time from a Michael Dobson kick, whose increasing influence in the game was clear to see. His kick to the corner saw Junior Sau flick the ball back, with George Griffin first to touch down. The conversion sailed wide again.

Salford broke the Warrington line again immediately after the restart through a clever pass from Josh Jones. The pass allowed Gareth O’Brien and Robert Lui to combine, carving open the Warrington defence, only for it to be pulled back by referee Jack Smith for a forward pass.

The topsy-turvy nature of the game meant that off the back of this, Warrington were able to level for a second time with only 90 seconds left in the first half, through a Jack Hughes try. The forward took a neat pass from Kurt Gidley to crash over. Patton’s first conversion of the afternoon ensured the visitors went into the sheds with a narrow 10-8 lead. The officials left the field to a cacophony of boos from the home support, who felt aggrieved at a number of decisions which didn’t go their way.

The home side started the second half as they did the first, with young hooker Kris Brining scoring only two minutes after the kick off. His scoot from dummy half caught the Wolves line napping, with him twisting his body to plant the ball over the line. O’Brien’s first successful kick meant that Salford lead by 14-10.

Again, Warrington forced the game level, with winger Jack Johnson strolling over in the corner in the 61st minute. A booming pass out wide caught out the Salford defence, with Johnson able to collect and cross. Another difficult kick whizzed wide of the uprights, equalling the scores at 14-all.

With the Wolves enjoying a purple patch, the visitors were caught out with Josh Jones plucking an intercept out of the air and completed a 50 metre break. A subsequent penalty a few tackles later resulted in a successful O’Brien penalty goal restoring Salford’s two point lead in a tense encounter.

Driven by a raucous home support, the Red Devils extended their lead following another pin-point Dobson kick. After a Kevin Brown 40/20 attempt sailed out on the full, and a short stoppage due to a Junior Sau injury, the play resumed close to the Wire line. A few plays later, a perfectly weighted grubber was touched down by the miraculously recovered Sau. O’Brien’s conversion was successful, giving Salford a 22-14 lead with 6 minutes remaining.

In the closing stages, a Warrington attempted ball steal was penalised, with O’Brien gladly taking the two on offer, sealing a pulsating 24-14 home victory.

By Nathan Okell.

Salford Red Devils

# Player Position Tries Goals Drop Goals Yellow Red Star Man
1Gareth O’BrienFull Back040000
3Josh JonesCentre000000
4Junior Sa’uCentre200000
6Robert LuiStand Off000000
7Michael DobsonScrum Half000001
9Logan Tomkins 20Hooker000000
10George Griffin 16Prop100000
13Mark FlanaganLoose Forward000000
14Lama Tasi 15Prop000000
21Greg JohnsonWing000000
22Kris WelhamCentre000000
23Lee MossopProp000000
24Jake Bibby 8Centre000000
8Craig Kopczak 24Interchange000000
15Ryan Lannon 14Interchange000000
16Olsi Krasniqi 10Interchange000000
20Kriss Brining 9Interchange100000
 Total 440001

Warrington Wolves

# Player Position Tries Goals Drop Goals Yellow Red Star Man
2Tom LinehamWing000000
3Rhys EvansCentre000000
4Ryan AtkinsCentre000000
6Kevin BrownStand Off000000
7Kurt GidleyScrum Half000000
9Daryl Clark 15Hooker000000
10Ashton SimsProp000000
12Jack Hughes 21Second Row100000
13Joe WestermanLoose Forward000000
14Mike Cooper 34Prop000000
18Andre Savelio 28Second Row000000
22Declan PattonScrum Half110000
26Jack JohnsonFull Back100000
15Brad Dwyer 9Interchange000000
21Matty Blythe 12Interchange000000
28Harvey Livett 18Interchange000000
34Ben Westwood 14Interchange000000
 Total 310000

Match Details

Date Time League Season Match Day
March 4, 2017 3:00 pm Super League 2017 Saturday


Team1st half2nd halfFinal score
Salford Red Devils81624
Warrington Wolves10414