Hull FC 39-26 Wigan Warriors

Hull FC 39-26 Wigan Warriors


Round 16 of the Betfred Super League saw Hull FC play Wigan Warriors on a sunny evening at the KCOM Stadium.

Both sides were looking to address poor runs of form; The Black & Whites having lost their last 3 matches and Wigan 4 out of the last 5 games.

The Airlie Birds got off to a flyer within the early stages as fan favourite Steve Michaels barged over on the right wing (4), Jake Connor missing the kick to leave the scoreline at 4 – 0.

After a video referral, Mark Minichiello was able to score in the corner after retrieving the ball from a contested Connor kick, forcing his way over the line (13), Connor converting from under the sticks but missing his first attempt after the Referee issued an 8-point try: 10 – 0.

Only a last gasp Jamie Shaul cover tackle stopped Tom Davies from scoring in the corner for the away side as they looked to respond.

The FC dominance didn’t stop and after pressure on the Wigan line, a looping ball out wide to the right from Houghton found Michaels, who skipped in to make it a brace of tries (21), Connor successful with the boot: 16 – 0.

Hull launched an immediate attack at Wigan, leading to another conceded penalty due to interference.

Connor opting to take the two points with success as the home side extended their lead (23): 18 – 0.

Hull continued their blitz after a piercing run by Danny Washbrook near the line, followed by a great inside pass to Danny Houghton allowing the current Man of Steel to score (29), Connor adding the extras: 24 – 0.

Liam Farrell was sin-binned in the aftermath by Referee Phil Bentham for dissent.

Wigan attempted to rally and after a towering kick misjudged by Michaels in the sun, Liam Marshall thought he’d scored, only for the Video Referee to deem that the ball went slightly forward in the build-up.

The Warriors managed to respond after an initial interception by Joe Burgess, lead to the ball shifting out wide to the right and Tom Davies touched down (36), followed by an unsuccessful conversion attempt from Liam Marshall as they remained in touching distance at 24 – 4.

The first-half finished with an altercation between Willie Isa and Mark Minichiello. Bentham adjudged Isa to be the initiator, Connor choosing to kick the penalty (40) to leave the score at 26 – 4 as the half-time hooter sounded.

Wigan began the second-half with a much needed try after a wayward George Williams pass fell to Liam Marshall, who used his scintillating pace to outsprint Jamie Shaul to the corner (44), Marshall unable to convert his own try leaving the scoreline at 26 – 8.

Hull countered as Shaul then broke away down the middle, offloading to Kelly, only for the stand-off to knock-on after a desperate tackle by Marshall.

The incidents came thick and fast and a Connor intercept and offload almost created an opening for Minichiello but the Referee judged Connor to have knocked-on.

Wigan showed their class by keeping the ball alive, Liam Farrell eventually offloading to Lewis Tierney who scored (56), Marshall successful with the kick as they narrowed FC’s lead to 26 – 14.

Hull hit-back in style with some inventive play of their own as Shaul acrobatically touched down in the corner from his own chip (59), awarded after a video referral.

Nick Rawsthorne majestically kicked the extras from the touchline to extend FC’s advantage to 32 – 14.

In an open game, Hull piled the misery on the visitors as Kelly collected a Wigan grubber on his line to race 80 metres and cross the whitewash (66), Rawsthorne duly adding the two points leaving the scoreline at 38 – 14.

The Warriors searched for a reply and after a neat grubber by Williams, Burgess collected to score (70), Marshall missing the conversion again: 38 – 18.

Albert Kelly made sure of things with a drop-goal under the sticks (75) to add insult to injury for the opposition.

Marshall caught Hull’s line defence off guard as he scooted over again in the corner (76) but was unable to convert the extras in what was merely a consolation effort for Shaun Wane’s men: 39 – 22. The visitors had the final say with a second try out wide for Tom Davies on the right (79) followed by a failed kick. However, it wouldn’t deny a vital victory for Hull: 39 – 26 at full-time.

Written by Callum Thompson.

Hull FC

# Player Position Tries Goals Drop Goals Yellow Red Star Man
1Jamie ShaulFull Back100000
3Carlos TuimavaveCentre000000
5Fetuli TalanoaWing000000
6Albert KellyStand Off101000
9Danny HoughtonHooker100001
12Mark Minichiello 28Second Row100000
14Jake Connor 27Centre050000
15Chris Green 25Prop000000
16Jordan ThompsonSecond Row000000
17Danny Washbrook 29Loose Forward000000
19Steve MichaelsWing200000
21Sika ManuSecond Row000000
23Nick RawsthorneCentre020000
25Jansin Turgut 15Interchange000000
27Jack Downs 14Interchange000000
28Brad Fash 12Interchange000000
29Masimbaashe Motongo 17Interchange000000
 Total 671001

Wigan Warriors

# Player Position Tries Goals Drop Goals Yellow Red Star Man
5Joe BurgessWing100000
6George WilliamsStand Off000000
7Thomas LeuluaiScrum Half000000
8Frank-Paul Nu’uausala 17Prop000000
9Michael McIlorum 16Hooker000000
12Liam FarrellSecond Row000000
20Willie Isa 11Second Row000000
21Lewis TierneyWing100000
22Morgan EscareFull Back000000
28Jack Wells 37Second Row000000
32Liam ForsythWing000000
35Liam MarshallWing210000
36Tom DaviesWing200000
11Joel Tomkins 20Interchange000000
16Sam Powell 9Interchange000000
17Taulima Tautai 8Interchange000000
37Callum Field 28Interchange000000
 Total 610000

Match Details

Date Time League Season Match Day
June 3, 2017 5:00 pm Super League 2017 Saturday


KCOM Stadium


Team1st half2nd halfFinal score
Hull FC261339
Wigan Warriors42226

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *