Hull FC 24-14 St Helens

Salford Red Devils 10-34 Hull FC


Round 4 of the Betfred Super League saw Hull FC take on St Helens in the ‘Steve Prescott Cup’.

In terms of form, the Airlie Birds were looking to build on an impressive victory against Huddersfield last week. In contrast, Saints were narrowly edged out by a resolute Wakefield Trinity outfit.

After a cagey opening ten minutes, the Airlie Birds broke the deadlock after (12) as Albert Kelly showed great strength to wrestle himself over the line with Marc Sneyd duly adding the extras to make it 6 – 0.

After periods of wasted possession in an error strewn game, Saints were able to reply after a neat reverse-kick out wide by Theo Fages, resulted in a wildly hacked clearance via the boot of Carlos Tuimavave and into the arms of Dominic Peyroux (25). Mark Percival added the extras: 6 – 6.

In a continuing theme of the first-half, St Helens edged ahead as Hull conceded a penalty and Percival put Saints 8 – 6 in front before the hooter (37).

The second half began with a penalty as FC youngster – Jansin Turgut was the victim of a high shot. Sneyd was able to convert the resulting penalty to make it 8 – 8 (44).

FC were almost in again immediately as Minichiello and Sneyd chased the ball down to the try line, only for St Helens to regroup with last-gasp defence.

Hull would edge further ahead after yet another penalty, as Sneyd was hit with a late shot. He was able to register his 500th point with the club to make it 10 – 8 (53).

A game changing incident occurred after (60) as Turgut needlessly elbowed Alex Walmsley, leading to his sin-binning and a Saints penalty: 10 – 10.

The visitors would take full advantage of the numerical difference as a long, flowing move out wide found Percival on the wing to touch down but missed his conversion (61) to make it 10 – 14.

Nevertheless, the Airlie Birds rallied as Kelly & Sneyd combined to send Tuimavave in under the posts, despite a late hit from Walmsley.

A eight-point¬†was issued by Referee – Phil Bentham, followed by a Sneyd conversion & additional penalty for Walmsley’s exploits to make it 18 – 14 to Hull (70).

A nervy finale to the game would follow as Saints desperately tried to counter.

However, FC put the icing on the cake as Albert Kelly raced away under the sticks from a neat Scott Taylor pass to seal the victory, followed by a successful kick to make it 24 – 14 at full-time.

Written by Callum Thompson.

Hull FC

# Player Position Tries Goals Drop Goals Yellow Red Star Man
1Jamie ShaulFull Back000000
2Mahe FonuaCentre000000
3Carlos TuimavaveStand Off100000
4Josh GriffinCentre000000
5Fetuli TalanoaWing000000
6Albert KellyStand Off200000
7Marc SneydScrum Half060001
8Scott Taylor 15Prop000000
9Danny HoughtonHooker000000
12Mark Minichiello 17Second Row000000
16Jordan ThompsonSecond Row000000
21Sika Manu 25Second Row000000
22Josh Bowden 29Prop000000
15Chris Green 8Interchange000000
17Danny Washbrook 12Interchange000000
25Jansin Turgut 21Interchange000100
29Masimbaashe Motongo 22Interchange000000
 Total 360101

St Helens

# Player Position Tries Goals Drop Goals Yellow Red Star Man
2Tommy MakinsonWing000000
3Ryan MorganCentre000000
4Mark PercivalCentre130000
5Adam SwiftWing000000
6Theo FagesStand Off000000
8Alex Walmsley 15Prop000000
9James Roby 17Hooker000000
12Jon WilkinSecond Row000000
14Luke Douglas 13Prop000000
20Morgan KnowlesHooker000000
21Jack OwensWing000000
36Zeb Taia 10Second Row000000
10Kyle Amor 36Interchange000000
13Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook 14Interchange000000
15Adam Walker 8Interchange000000
17Tommy Lee 9Interchange000000
18Dominique PeyrouxSecond Row100000
 Total 230000

Match Details

Date Time League Season Match Day
March 10, 2017 8:00 pm Super League 2017 Friday


KCOM Stadium


Team1st half2nd halfFinal score
Hull FC61824
St Helens8614

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *