Catalans Dragons 20-12 Warrington Wolves

Catalans Dragons 20-12 Warrington Wolves


Catalans Dragons beat Warrington Wolves 20-12 to secure an opening round victory in the Betfred Super League. Tries from Richie Myler, Greg Bird and Brayden Wiliame proved enough for the French side as they ended a difficult week on a good note. Andre Savelio and Rhys Evans were the try-scorers for Warrington, who fell to defeat.

Catalans picked Wiliame to deputise at full-back in place of Tony Gigot, who has been suspended for two years due to his behaviour towards a doping official. Warrington travelled to France without the likes of Chris Hill, Ben Currie, Kevin Brown and Stefan Ratchford to choose from.

The home side came close to breaking the deadlock in the opening stages but Greg Bird’s cut out pass was snapped up by Warrington winger Rhys Evans.

Soon after, the visitors capitalised as Savelio crashed over as he took in a deft pass from Kurt Gidley and the former St Helens man did the rest. Declan Patton converted with ease as the Wolves went six points up.

Following the opening try of the game, both sides were guilty of committing handling errors as the match started to become a rather scrappy affair.

One error in particular proved costly for Warrington as Evans, who was indecisive by letting a towering bomb bounce, offloaded to former teammate Richie Myler for a walk-in try. Luke Walsh’s conversion attempt was off target, leaving the score at 6-4 to the Wolves after 25 minutes.

Myler’s try seemed to give Catalans a boost and they forced a couple of repeat sets on the Warrington line but solid defence halted the hosts.

The Wolves then made use of their time with the ball as Tony Smith’s men looked dangerous with Patton and Gidley leading the attack while Matty Russell provided a number of threatening runs. However, a loose offload from Dom Crosby put paid to a decent effort by the visitors who still had a two point lead to their name with half-time approaching.

Three minutes remained of the first half when Warrington conceded a penalty underneath their own sticks and were given a team warning by referee James Child. Catalans opted to take the two and Walsh made amends for his earlier miss by levelling matters.

With nothing separating the two teams heading into the second half, the Dragons came out of the blocks with great intent and Warrington had to do the dirty work with 12 men after Gidley was sin-binned for a professional foul. The following set saw Catalans waste an opportunity as Duport knocked on after great pressure from his opposite number Evans.

Catalans went ahead for the first time in the match after 48 minutes when Bird steamed on to a Paul Aiton pass to touch down. Walsh added the extras from in front of the sticks.

The Dragons started to turn the screw with the final quarter fast approaching. Warrington full-back Russell dropped a clanger deep in his own half which gifted the hosts a great chance to extend their lead. But Warrington’s defence stood up well and managed to get the ball back as Bosc’s offload went into the hands of an opposition player.

The tough defending from the Wolves gave the attacking players a chance to shine and a Patton 40/20 handed them a great opportunity. However, Ashton Sims couldn’t take a tricky pass while driving towards the try-line and there was respite for the Dragons.

Knock-on’s were the flavour of the final quarter with both sides not able to keep hold of the ball for as long as they’d like to. A fumble from Bosc handed the Wolves another chance to get over the whitewash but, yet again, Catalans had the answers.

With 12 minutes left on the clock, the hosts won a penalty in the Warrington half and Walsh decided to go for goal. The Aussie half-back made it 14-6 as he successfully converted.

Warrington winger Evans set up a grandstand finish with a try three minutes from time following an assist from prop forward Sims. Patton landed the touchline conversion to cut the deficit to just two points. From the restart set, Jack Hughes knocked on to end any chance of Warrington taking the win back over the Channel. Wiliame sealed the victory for the hosts with a try in the final minute of the game as the new signing from Manly Sea Eagles muscled over. Walsh converted.

Catalans Dragons

# Player Position Tries Goals Drop Goals Yellow Red Star Man
2Jodie BroughtonWing000000
3Krisnan InuCentre000000
4Brayden WiliameFull Back100000
5Fouad YahaWing000000
6Luke WalshStand Off040000
7Richie MylerScrum Half100000
8Sam MoaProp000000
9Paul AitonHooker000000
10Remi CastyProp000000
12Justin HoroSecond Row000000
13Greg BirdLoose Forward100001
14Julian BousquetInterchange000000
15Benjamin GarciaSecond Row000000
16Thomas BoscInterchange000000
17Jason BaitieriInterchange000000
18Vincent DuportCentre000000
19Mickael SimonInterchange000000
 Total 340001

Warrington Wolves

# Player Position Tries Goals Drop Goals Yellow Red Star Man
2Tom LinehamWing000100
3Rhys EvansWing100000
4Ryan AtkinsCentre000000
5Matty RussellFull Back000000
7Kurt GidleyScrum Half000000
9Daryl ClarkHooker000000
10Ashton SimsProp000000
12Jack HughesSecond Row000000
13Joe WestermanLoose Forward000000
14Mike CooperProp000000
15Brad DwyerInterchange000000
17Dom CrosbyInterchange000000
18Andre SavelioSecond Row100000
20Toby KingCentre000000
22Declan PattonStand Off020000
23Joe PhilbinInterchange000000
28Harvey LivettInterchange000000
 Total 220100

Match Details

Date Time League Season Match Day
February 11, 2017 5:00 pm Super League 2017 Saturday


Team1st half2nd halfFinal score
Catalans Dragons61420
Warrington Wolves6612