England denied place in Women’s Rugby League World Cup Final in brutal semi against New Zealand

England women came up short in tonight Rugby League World Cup semi-final as they came up short against New Zealand in a classic semi-final.

It means England still wait for a first World Cup Final appearance whilst New Zealand continue their record of never missing one and will meet Australia at Old Trafford in the final.

Meanwhile, it means there will be no England team in the double header on Saturday but the England Wheelchair side will take on France in their final.

England opened the scoring in the opening five minutes of the game. It was the start they needed against the highly fancied Kiwis.

It came from a Georgia Roche kick which was fumbled resulting in an attacking opportunity from which England struck.

They stretched the New Zealand defence with Fran Goldthorpe getting round the defender in front of her to score.

However, the task ahead of them was summed up by the powerful drives from Amber Hall over on the right edge.

However, in the next 10 minutes, New Zealand battled back with centre Mele Hufanga picking up a loose ball to drive over the top of England defenders to make it 6-4.

England stayed in the lead until the 30th minute when Raecene McGregor smashed through a gap and use her momentum to score.

Apii Nicholls may have missed the shot at goal, one you’d have expected her to nail, but at halftime the Kiwis still led at the break.

In the second half, New Zealand scored one of the tries of the tournament when they broke down the right cutting inside keeping the ball alive until the ball came back left where they exploited space allowing Otesa Pule to get over for a decisive try.

That extended their 8-6 lead out to 14-6 in a telling blow and by the hour mark the Kiwis were already booked in the World Cup Final as Hall again proved devastating putting Brianna Clark through a gap to score what was the decisive try as it allowed New Zealand to take a 20-6 lead which as the second ticked by in the wet proved insurmountable.

England gave it their best effort but it wasn’t enough as New Zealand held on to the victory and a place at Old Trafford for the final on Saturday.

Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments