Connect with us

Rugby League News

Championship club release statement after friendly abandoned after 53 minutes

Yesterday, five fixtures were cancelled due to frozen pitches whilst St Helens Reserves’ clash with Swinton Lions was moved to a different pitch.

Meanwhile, the meeting between Barrow Raiders and Workington Town ended after 53 minutes with the Raiders leading 14-4.

This was because of a floodlight failure.

Following this, the club have released the following statement:

“Unfortunately we were cut short by a local power issue this afternoon that blew the fuse supplying our floodlights. Other phases in the ground were unaffected so there was power in some parts of the ground but not to the floodlights.

“By the time the fuse was replaced the referee had already halted the game. We believe other areas of the nearby business parks were also affected. Matters were out of our hands on this occasion but we go again next Sunday. Thanks for your support.”

Here’s a round up of the other fixtures:

St Helens Reserves 24-32 Swinton Lions 

Swinton took an early third minute lead. A penalty on halfway allowed the visitors to push downfield and a few tackles later Gavin Rodden forced his way over from close range. Nick Gregson added the two, 0-6 Saints trailed.

The hosts responded well to the early try and grabbed one of their own in the 16th minute. A high kick was fumbled by the Lions after great pressure from Jumah Sambou, Will Roberts picked up the loose ball before racing away to score in the right corner. The half converted his own try, 6-6 the scores were tied.

The visitors regained the lead in the 23rd minute. The ball was camped on the Red Vee’s line and Kenny Baker forced his way over from close range. Gregson converted, 6-12. That lead was further increased two minutes later. A big break downfield saw a great tackle from Daniel Moss to hold Swinton up close to the line. Off the back of it the ball found Rodden who went over for his second try of the half. Joseph Romeo missed the two, 6-16.

Saints grabbed another try just before the break. A kick from Moss was collected by Roberts who went over for his second try under the sticks. Once again he converted his try with almost the final kick of the first half, 12-16 the Red Vee trailed at the break.

The visitors had another try early in the second half. The ball was moved from right to left and Calum Hughes scored in the corner. Romeo was unable to convert, 12-20. Romeo could not convert, 12-20. That lead as quickly extended as Scott Parnaby burrowed over from close range. Dan Abram converted, 12-26.

Saints grabbed their third try towards the end of the second half. A break down the middle of the pitch saw Nathan Bannerman find Ciaran Nolan, who strolled over underneath the sticks. Moss converted, 18-26. Another try quickly followed. A pass in midfield was intercepted by new signing for the first team from Australia Wes Bruines who went half the length of the field to score under the sticks. Moss converted again, 24-26 we trailed.

A knock on a few tackles into the restart ruined the Red Vee’s momentum. Swinton drove downfield and Baker threw a dummy before scoring under the sticks. Abram converted with the final kick of the game to seal a 24-32 victory for the Lions against a spirited Saints Reserve side.

Sheffield Eagles 20-22 Hull FC

Hull FC’s new start in 2023 under Tony Smith got off to a winning start as new signing Jake Clifford and Brad Dwyer proved key.

It was the worst possible start for Hull FC in their return to action, as they went behind within four minutes.

Sheffield wouldn’t go away however and two minutes later took an eight point lead.

Hull knocked on at the restart and from the scrum Matty Dawson-Jones went over to make it 14-6. Aston again missing the shot at girl.

In a wild five minutes, Clifford made it eight points for himself on debut popping up to intercept an offload and race away to score and make it 14-12 when he converted his own try.

The Black and Whites thought they’d scored when McIntosh went over from a Tex Hoy pass but the try was disallowed for a forward pass then four minutes later and just minutes shy of halftime Sheffield re-established their eight point lead.

Aston again was on hand to score from a grubber that Hoy didn’t deal with. Aston converted to make it 20-12 at the break. Hull made four changes at the break as they added plenty of young faces but it was an older face who scored thanks to a break from one of Hull FC’s new faces.

Ex-Leeds Rhinos hooker Brad Dwyer sliced through in quintessential fashion before grubbering ahead for Danny Houghton to score.

15 minutes into the second half, Hull FC claimed the lead for the first time. Cameron Scott scored from a Ben McNamara kick as he showed good feet to get over.

As the game closed Hull had 11 academy product on the pitch and they held on to win the game 22-20.

Whitehaven 14-22 Wigan Warriors

Despite trailing 14-10 entering the final 10 minutes of the game, tries from Logan Astley, who made his Super League debut in 2022, from a Tom Forber break and a 75th minute score from Alex Sutton in a great team try saw the young Warriors defeat Whitehaven.

Oldham 20-42 Widnes Vikings

After a close first half which ended 14-12 in favour of Oldham, a hat-trick from second row Adam Lawton in the second half propelled the Vikings to a 42-20 win with former Batley Bulldogs halfback Tom Gilmore flawless with the boot.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Must See

More in Rugby League News