Connect with us

Rugby League News

Castleford Tigers stun Warrington Wolves

Warrington Wolves could remedy the pain of being knocked out of the Challenge Cup with a win that would take them top of the table tonight.

Standing in their way was a trip to the Jungle to face Castleford Tigers who sat 11th in the table.

Cas had boosted their squad with loanee Riley Dean however he was unable to face his parent club which left Jack Broadbent in the halves alongside Jacob Miller.

As for Warrington they had a shock absence of their own in the halves with star player George Williams missing. That left centres Stefan Ratchford and Peter Mata’utia to slot into the halves.

The early exchanges were explosive and saw James Harrison sin binned for a professional foul as he prevented Nathan Massey from scoring. From that penalty the Tigers opted for two with Widdop knocking it over to open the scoring 2-0 after five minutes.

Before the ten minute mark though they had the first try of the night with Will Tate being the man to finish off a flowing move through hands to score in the corner.

Warrington worked their way back into the game but the most that it amounted to was a goal line drop out for the Tigers, from which they defended staunchly.

Widdop again opted for two when a penalty presented itself extending the lead to 8-0, before he did the same a few minutes later to make it 10-0 on the 25 minute mark.

Jason Qareqare scored their second of the night just after the half hour mark following a high Jacob Miller kick, with the young winger scoring in the corner for the Tigers to head in 14-0 up at the half.

Warrington needed a response in the second half and they got it before the 50 minute mark when they moved the ball wide left to allow Matty Ashton to score.

One score brought another for Warrington as they capitalised on good territory and went left again and to Ashton again who scored his second.

The comeback was well and truly on at this point and the Wire adding another try through Connor Wrench to make it 14-14 with Mata’utia unable to convert, setting up a tense final ten minutes.

Cas put themselves back ahead when Gareth Widdop kicked a monster field goal to push the Tigers into a 15-14 lead with just seven minutes to go.

The game was iced through when Jack Broadbent scored in the 78th minute and Gareth Widdop made no mistake to stretch the lead to seven points at 21-14, and hand another loss to a struggling Warrington Wolves.

Widdop rounded the game off with a further two points from a penalty to finish the night off 23-14.

The win lifted Cas further away from Wakefield but served to pile the pressure on to Daryl Powell and the Wolves.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Must See

More in Rugby League News