Connect with us

Super League

Calls for video referee change as footage emerges of potential missed red card

Recently there has been a lot of talk about the video referee.

It has been suggested time and again that video referees should be present at every game so the correct decision can always be made.

For example last night Zane Tetevano would probably have only been placed on report at a none TV game but video replays allowed the officials to assess the tackle and award a red card.

Referees are only human and the speed of the game means it is inevitable that they will miss things and last night Castleford Tigers fans weren’t happy with a tackle on Jacob Miller.

Tigers fans believed it could have been a yellow, maybe a red card, but all that was shown was a green card which forced Miller off for a couple of minutes.

Now footage has surfaced of the tackle:

One fan said:

“Tetevano got done by the TV replay not what the ref saw in play. The presence of TV means different rules. Surely in top flight, a video ref should be at all or none.”

The Tigers had fell behind after just eight minutes with prop Dezaria forcing his way over, just minutes before Adam Keighran added a second.

The Australian centre converted both tries to make it 12-0 after just 12 minutes and with that Castleford never looked like getting back in the game.

18 minutes brought up 19 points with NRL signing Matt Ikuvalu scoring his second in as many games, taking advantage from a six again.

The Tigers did respond through Alex Mellor who claimed a Paul McShane kick to put Cas on the board.

Just five minutes later though Tom Johnstone crossed over to extend the French side’s lead and they’d add another two before the break with Keighran scoring hid second of the night before Ben Garcia crossed over just before the half.

That meant it was 34-6 going in at half time leaving Andy Last with a huge job to try and recharge his troops.

The onslaught continued in the second-half though as Catalans tacked on another try five minutes in through Paul Seguier.

There was some response from Castleford via Bureta Faraimo who scored in the corner but just 10 minutes later Tomkins added another Dragons try.

Castleford did form some kind of fight back with both Faraimo and Mellor adding their second of the night but that was only enough to make it 46-24, leaving them a long way short of a third win this season.

That flurry was all too late with the game finishing 46-24, the only positive for the Tigers being that they did respond with some points this week compared to the 20 unanswered they conceded against Leigh the week prior.

As for Catalans they return to Perpignan and will face Wakefield when Super League restarts after the Challenge Cup fixtures next week.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Must See

More in Super League